Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Beauty

Yesterday's workout: spinning (45 minutes)

Spinning used to be the hardest workout of the week. Now I use it as recovery! I kept the resistance pretty low throughout.

Today's WOD will be the Filthy Fifty. This will be the first time I'm repeating a WOD since starting at Flatirons CrossFit. I hope to see lots of progress from the first time I did this, back in early September. I'm really going to push it on the time.

The tiny shoes were gifted to my coworker, and he liked them. The next pair went on the needles last night as I was watching the election coverage. I won't get into the specifics of my political views here, but I really liked the tone of both McCain's concession speech and Obama's acceptance speech. They both spoke about unity and working together, such an important message for a troubling time. I think they are both good people with their hearts in the right place, and that finally came through last night after so many months of campaign ugliness and partisanship.

I'm so worn down by the negativity and despair that's all around. I wear a ring that was passed down in my family, a ring that was made in the 1930s during the Great Depression. It is simple and beautiful and was a treasured possession of a woman I never met. When I look at it, I remember that people can and will get through difficult times, and that prosperity is about more than just return on investment, interest rates, credit and debt; it is about self-reliance and family and hope for the future.

Sometimes I need to remind myself that there is still beauty in the world:

Corsica, September 2005

2 comments:

Jane said...

I love your blog, Amy. I know I'm your mom and have been with you since day 1. However, the things you write help me to know you better and to appreciate you even more.

Philip said...

Your insights into our political process come from your heart and lift the spirits of those of us who read them.